I never thought I'd do this but I must defend Peter Angelos. Today SI named him the worst owner in baseball. Bad owner? Yes, but certainly not the worst, especially based on sis criteria: The method was not scientific but based on numerous factors, some of which are indisputable and some of which are intangible. Among the criteria used to evaluate owners was the 1.willingness to spend money to improve the team; 2.the stability and capabilities of the front office and management; 3.the amenities at the team's venue; 4.and the club's culture and interactivity with fans. Of course, weighing heavily in the decision was the team's success or failure on the field, and ammenties of the teams venue.
1. Angelos will spend money in his mind to improve the team. not wisely sometimes(Albert Belle), but he will spend it. Lets not forget the long term deals for markakis and others.
2. He has owned the team since 94, and though past front office has come and gone Andy Macphail seems to be the man to build the team, and Angelos seems hands off in this case.
3. Camden Yards would be the best venue in baseball if it didn't have so many obstructed view seats, so does wrigley and fenway though, so thats not an issue.
4. Ok, so they're not the best with us, but they do have fan fest and players in the community every year.
5. You got us on the winning. We've been bad. But the future of Weiters, Markakis, Burris, Koji etc looks brighter.
My point is he is probably like 15th or so, but defiently not the worst owner, especially based on their criteria. I can name off the top of my head the Pirates, Nationals,Marlins,Royals, YANKEES, and A's as much worse owners..So there, I defended Angelos, probably for the first and last time ever..