Here is what you need to know about today's thrashing of the New York Yankees:
- This wasn't a scrub lineup 3E was facing. The only regulars missing were Jorge Posada and Curtis Granderson, so that means Bergesen shut down the offense expected to be the best in baseball. I know, I know, Spring Training. But I don't care. It was so much fun to watch.
- The bullpen was just as good as Bergesen. Alberto Castillo finished the 6th inning and Kam Mickolio, Jim Johnson, and Matt Albers each pitched one scoreless inning to close out the game. Mickolio's stuff looked straight nasty as he struck out two (but did give up a single to that pesky Randy Winn). Jim Johnson was perfect, and Albers allowed a lead off single but retired the next three.
- Ty Wigginton is a defensive marvel at second base! The first play of the game was a grounder up the middle that looked like it might sneak through for a single, but Wiggy ranged up the middle and made a great throw to get the runner. It was awesome. I'm not gonna lie, I don't know that Brian Bob would have gotten there. He flashed the leather again the next inning when a shallow pop fly appeared ready to fall between Adam Jones in center field and Wiggy, but Wiggy sprinted into the outfield and made an impressive over the shoulder catch. Wiggy also went first to third on a single by Cesar Izturis. He did all kinds of things in today's game that seem as though they should be physically impossible for a man of Wiggy's, um, physique.
- Adam Jones crushed a ball over the left field fence for a 2 run HR. It was a line drive that would have gone further than it did if the Yankees bus didn't get in the way.
- Matt Wieters, who has struggled to get hits so far (although he's taken his share of walks), had a very good day. Two hits including a double, and a walk. He knocked in two and scored two.
- Given that we're now inside the two week mark to Opening Day, it's about that time of year where I start being excited about everything and thinking the Orioles are a pretty good team. And hell if they didn't look like a legitimate baseball team today. Their hitters hit, their fielders made their plays (except you, Garrett Atkins), and the pitchers dominated. Today's game got me absolutely giddy for Opening Day.