2013 Home Run Derby - 8:00 p.m. on ESPN
Are you ready for the Home Run Derby? A lot of folks love the derby, and a lot of folks have no desire to watch the derby, but with Chris Davis being the first Oriole to participate since 2006, the interest here in Birdland is higher than usual.
After hitting his 37th home run of the season yesterday (putting him on pace 62), the betting world has taken notice. He currently has 11/4 odds to win the whole thing, ahead of every other participant. Prior to hitting his 37th home run, his odds were 15/4, second to Prince Fielder (7/2).
Each league has four participants, selected by the "team captains" Robinson Cano and David Wright. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how the captains were chosen other than the All Star Game is in New York and those two chaps play for teams in New York. Here are those participants and some stats you may find interesting:
|'13 HR||Career HR||ML games
||Odds to win|
|David Wright - Mets||13||217||1352||9/1|
|Pedro Alvarez - Pirates||24||74||403||11/2|
|Michael Cuddyer - Rockies||16||173||1314||12/1|
|Bryce Harper - Nationals||13||35||197||11/2|
Wright is the only National League rep to have been an previous HR derby. In 2006 he hit a total of 22 homers and came in second to Ryan Howard.
|'13 HR||Career HR||ML games||Odds to win|
|Chris Davis - Orioles||37||114||531||11/4|
|Prince Fielder - Tigers||16||276||1254||15/4|
|Robinson Cano - Yankees||21||198||1309||6/1|
|Yoenis Cespedes - Athletics||15||38||208||11/2|
This will be Cano's third consecutive derby. In 2011 he won with 32 total homers, and in 2012 he didn't hit a single one. Fielder has participated four times in 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2012. He won in 2009 and 2012.
If you're not familiar with the current rules for the HR derby, here they are:
- Round 1: Each player has ten outs (an out being any swing that doesn't result in a home run) to hit as many HR as possible. The top four players advance. If there is a tie for the last spot, those players will have a 5-swing playoff.
- Round 2: Same rules as round one. The two players whose combined totals for rounds one and two advance to the finals.
- Round 3: HR totals reset to zero and whichever player hits the most HR before getting 10 outs wins the derby.
Got it? Good. Now let's watch Chris Davis smash some homers!
More from Camden Chat:
- MLB All Star Game news: Baltimore Orioles offering discounted tickets based on Chris Davis's HR derby total
- MLB All-Star Game: Chris Davis batting cleanup for American League; Jones 7th, Hardy 9th
- Week 15 Birds Up, O's Down (July 8-14)
- 2013 MLB All Star Game: Studs and Snubs - AL Edition
- Orioles GIFs of the Week