For most of you, the simplest and most effective site rule is this: follow the golden rule. It works wonders, honestly. But in order to make sure this site continues to grow and thrive, we do need some community guidelines. Here they are:
1. Stick to the topic of the post. There is one open thread posted each day for discussions not relating to site content, so if you’re in the comments section of any other article, make your comment about that topic.
2. Personal attacks of any sort are not allowed. If you disagree with someone, argue your point related to the facts, don’t make it personal. Don’t call them names, question their intelligence, etc. The first time it happens you’ll be warned. The second time you’ll be banned.
3. Do not be sexist, racist, or homophobic. These are all deal breakers. One warning, then you’re gone.
4. Welcome the newbies! You were new once, remember? Being welcoming means not jumping on them if their first post isn’t what you consider up to standards, not peppering every thread with inside jokes that are intimidating to outsiders, and not acting like a jerk if they ask a question that has already been discussed here.
5. And finally, don't piss off the mods. If we tell you to cool it, cool it.