Another Spring Training game in the books, and the first I was able to follow in real time. Sadly Joe Angel had a death in the family so he wasn't there for the broadcast. My condolences to Joe and his family. Filling in for Joe was Tom Davis and he and Fred Manfra...we'll let's just say that they aren't in midseason form. My favorite part was when Manfra called Zach Duke, "Zuke."
As for the game, it had its ups and downs.
- Chris Tillman had a great outing, pitching two perfect innings. In the first he retired the side in order on a ground out and and two K's. He added another K in the second and according to Manfra his breaking stuff was hitting the corners like magic.
- Mike Gonzalez pitched the second inning and had a little bit of bad luck. The first batter he face hit a pop up on the right side that either Garrett Atkins misplayed or the wind played a trick and carried it away, it's hard to tell. He then induced a foul pop up to the Neil Walker but 2B Blake Davis overran the ball and didn't make the catch. Gonzalez ended up walking him. It continued to be not pretty as he gave up an RBI hit.
- The fourth inning was handled by Jim Johnson. He allowed a leadoff "single" to 2B (Blake Davis didn't have a great day) but retired the next three batters. Nice to see JJ with a successful outing.
- Luke Scott earned the first RBI for the O's in the second inning. Cleanup hitter (barf) Miguel Tejada doubled to lead off the inning, moved to third on a sac fly by Wieters and scored on a sac fly by Scott.
- Leadoff hitter Adam Jones launched an opposite field HR in the third inning to give the Orioles a 1-0 lead. It would be Jonesy's only hit on the day in three at bats. The O's have now homered in all three ST games, a total of 9 times.
- The Orioles third and final run came in the 5th inning. Blake Davis led off, hitting the ball to second base but ending up on second himself when the Pirates' 2B threw the ball away. He moved to third on a fly ball by Adam Jones, then scored when the Pirates SS booted a ground ball by Robert Andino. Tejada also reached on an error (this one by the Pirates 3B) but no more runs scored.
- Although not involved in any scoring, Garrett Atkins had two hits including a double. Pedro Florimon, Scott Moore, Jonathan Tucker and Miguel Abreu also added singles. The Orioles only took one walk as Rhyne
- Hughes worked Ramon Aguero for the BB in his only AB.