Norfolk Tides 1, Columbus (Indians) 0
The two teams combined for just 11 hits and zero walks in the game, so if you like offense in baseball, this was not your thing. However, if you like Orioles pitching prospects tossing seven shutout innings, well, Joe “The Gunk” Gunkel was right up your alley. The Gunk spun a fantastic outing, allowing only five hits over his seven innings and striking out three batters.
The only run in the game scored on an RBI single hit by recently-promoted catcher Austin Wynns.
Bowie Baysox 5, Akron (Indians) 4
Bowie picked up nine hits, only two of which were for extra bases, and only went 2-11 with runners in scoring position in the game, but they were able to cram together so much into a three-run sixth inning that they were able to win the day.
Catcher Chance Sisco was 2-4 at the plate and drew a walk for good measure. Sisco scored two of the four Bowie runs. Shortstop Adrian Marin had a 2-4 night as well and drove in one of the runs.
Frederick Keys - game suspended in 7th
Delmarva Shorebirds - postponed
Aberdeen IronBirds - postponed
I’d write about the Gulf Coast League game, except they were shut out, got only three hits, and committed two errors. For box scores from Thursday’s games, including the adventures of the DSL O’s affiliates, check out here.
Today’s Scheduled Games
- Norfolk: at Indianapolis, 7:15. Starter: Ariel Miranda
- Bowie: at Akron, 7:05. Starter: David Hess
- Frederick: at Wilmington, 5:05 (resume suspended, play another). Starter: Lucas Long
- Delmarva: at West Virginia, 5:05 (doubleheader). Starters: Cristian Alvarado, TBD
- Aberdeen: vs. Mahoning Valley, 6:05 (doubleheader). Starters: TBD, another TBD