clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

O’s in Power Rankings: Week 23

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Baltimore Orioles v Boston Red Sox Photo by Adam Glanzman/Getty Images

We know computers hate the Orioles, and national broadcasters hate the Orioles, but do the folks who make power polls/rankings hate the Orioles? This week, the O’s are getting some begrudging respect. The 30 (8th; Last Week: 9th)

Jonah Keri lifts the Orioles one slot from last week.

USA Today Power Rankings (8th; LW: 10th)

The Nation’s Newspaper also lifts the O’s, except in this case it’s two slots. “Will happily bid Big Papi farewell: He has 52 homers, .897 OPS against them.”

Bleacher Report Power Rankings (7th; LW: 10th)

Slideshow Central goes one further, and elevates the O’s three slots. (8th; LW: 9th) uses analysts for 75% of their polls’ composition, and fan votes for the other 25%. The experts have the O’s at #8, the fans at #8, so the O’s rise to 8th.

CBS Sports (7th; LW: 8th)

Matt Synder lifts the O’s one slot. “The O's have a shot at the all-time MLB home run record. They also currently sit with the third-fewest stolen bases ever in a season. Remarkable split.”

Power Rankings Guru (7th; LW 8th)

PRG is an aggregate of several national power rankings/polls, and they have the O’s up one slot to 7th.

reddit’s Power Poll (8th; LW: 8th)

The community editors over at reddit continue to have the O’s on the outer fringes of the Top 10. But we get comments this week! “Going into Detroit and taking 2/3 is huge. The next challenge is to double down and try to do the same to the division leading Red Sox. Chris Tillman returned from the DL Sunday and delivered 6 innings of 1 run ball, providing a big boost to the rotation. Fortunately, Kevin Gausman (2.89 ERA, 1.27 WHIP in the 2nd half) and yes, Ubaldo Jimenez (2.67 ERA, 0.89 WHIP in the 2nd half), have helped in his absence.” (7th; LW: 29th)

Ranks are based on rolling past 20 games overall. And so the Orioles are up 22 slots this week. I guess Vegas is starting to believe.

The Baltimore Sun's MLB Power Rankings (7th; LW: 8th)

The Sun’s Jon Meoli lifts the O’s one slot. “The Orioles need just one more win for their first winning road trip of longer than two games of the season, a marvel in one sense but a boon for them in another. The possibility of success here has set them up for an important season-closing road trip that could punch their playoff ticket.” Power Poll (8th; LW: 8th)

The Worldwide Leader leaves the O’s at #8. “The Orioles, who are two games behind the Red Sox in the AL East and tied with the Blue Jays for the wild-card lead, are in a nice position with 20 games left. But if they want to make the playoffs, they'll have to take care of things in the division. Seventeen of their remaining games are against teams in the AL East, with 13 coming against the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Yankees (all teams still in the playoff hunt).” -- Matt Kremnitzer (@mattkremnitzer), Camden Depot

Any egregious slights or wild overestimation of this team? Any polls you’d like to see included? Add your thought down below and hit me up on Twitter @Bill_Duck21804 where you will find way, way too much discussion of politics and MMA for any baseball fan’s liking.