clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Orioles in Power Rankings - Week 21

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Toronto Blue Jays v Baltimore Orioles

We know computers hate the Orioles, and national broadcasters hate the Orioles, but do the folks who make power polls/rankings hate the Orioles? This week, they are surprisingly keeping the O’s in the Top 10. The 30 (8th; Last Week: 8th)

Jonah Keri gives the O’s one of his four deep-dive treatments for the week. “[Kevin] Gausman and [Dylan] Bundy—and more specifically their workloads—could now hold the key to the Orioles’ chances for the rest of the season. Gausman has already surged past his career high in innings pitched, throwing 151 between the majors and brief stints in the minors. Bundy’s more modest 85 innings pitched mark his highest total since the 103 2/3 frames he churned out in his pro debut in 2012 thanks largely to Tommy John surgery in ‘13 that cost him all of that season and much of the next.”

USA Today Power Rankings (9th; LW: 9th)

The Nation’s Newspaper keeps the O’s where they were. “Need a healthy Chris Tillman, or another starter by trade deadline. Preferably both.”

Bleacher Report Power Rankings (10th; LW: 12th)

Slideshow Central has brought the O’s back into the Top 10. “The Orioles took three of four in their home-and-home series with the Nationals, but they were unable to carry that momentum into the weekend, as they dropped two of three to the Yankees. Dylan Bundy has faltered a bit after a dominant stretch, posting a 7.53 ERA in his last three starts, and now it's Kevin Gausman who has taken the lead role in the starting rotation.” (8th; LW: 8th) uses analysts for 75% of their polls’ composition, and fan votes for the other 25%. The experts have the O’s at #8, the fans at #10, so the O’s stay at 8th.

CBS Sports (7th; LW: 7th)

Matt Synder does his rankings every two weeks, so the O’s stay the same.

Power Rankings Guru (9th; LW 8th)

PRG is an aggregate of several national power rankings/polls, and they have the O’s down one slot to 9th.

reddit’s Power Poll (9th; LW: 9th)

The community editors over at reddit continue to have the O’s on the outer fringes of the Top 10, and this week, there’s the added insult of no Orioles voter, so no blurb for the O’s. Ouch. (29th; LW: 20th)

Ranks are based on rolling past 20 games overall. Yup, one from the bottom. Hey, don’t shoot the messenger, I just compile these rankings, I don’t make them.

The Baltimore Sun's MLB Power Rankings (9th; LW: 8th)

The Sun’s Jon Meoli drops the O’s down to the outer fringes of the Top 10. “The Orioles’ slide in these rankings continue after they’ve lost four of five and fallen to four games out in the division. Everyone is to blame, not just the pitching. The Orioles are 28th in batting average in the second half (.237) and 23rd with a .707 OPS since the All-Star break.” Power Poll (9th; LW: 9th)

The World-Wide Leader keeps the O’s in the Top 10, holding steady at #9. “Last week, the Orioles took four of seven combined games from the Nationals and Yankees. But they also had three straight ugly losses between their third and fourth wins. The Orioles are treading water without Chris Tillman in the rotation and will send Wade Miley,Ubaldo Jimenez, and Yovani Gallardo to the mound as the scheduled starters for their upcoming three-game series with the Blue Jays. -- Matt Kremnitzer (@mattkremnitzer), Camden Depot

Any egregious slights or wild overestimation of this team? Any polls you’d like to see included? Add your thought down below and hit me up on Twitter @Bill_Duck21804 where you will find way, way too much discussion of politics and MMA for any baseball fan’s liking.