clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

O’s in Power Rankings: Week 24

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Boston Red Sox v Baltimore Orioles Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images

Orioles in Power Rankings - Week 24

We know computers hate the Orioles, and national broadcasters hate the Orioles, but do the folks who make power polls/rankings hate the Orioles? Not yet, but it’s coming after this Red Sox series, I’m sure. The 30 (7th; Last Week: 8th)

Jonah Keri lifts the Orioles one slot from last week.

USA Today Power Rankings (7th; LW: 8th)

The Nation’s Newspaper also lifts the O’s, except in this case it’s two slots. “Mark Trumbo has six more home runs than 2014-15 combined total.”

Bleacher Report Power Rankings (7th; LW: 7th)

Slideshow Central keeps the Orioles right where they were. “Kevin Gausman was terrific once again last week with eight shutout innings against the Red Sox in a pitcher's duel with AL Cy Young candidate Rick Porcello. Gausman is now 6-2 with a 2.06 ERA and 1.147 WHIP in nine starts since the beginning of August.” (7th; LW: 8th) uses analysts for 75% of their polls’ composition, and fan votes for the other 25%. The experts have the O’s at #7, the fans at #7, so the O’s rise to 7th.

CBS Sports (N/A; LW: 7th)

Matt Synder’s rankings have disappeared from CBS Sports’ website, replaced with a Top 10 that’s a video package. In the words of a internet meme, “Ain’t nobody got time for that.”

Power Rankings Guru (7th; LW 7th)

PRG is an aggregate of several national power rankings/polls, and they have the O’s staying at 7th.

reddit’s Power Poll (8th; LW: 8th)

The community editors over at reddit continue to have the O’s on the outer fringes of the Top 10. “Taking 2/3 in Boston behind eight shutout innings from Kevin Gausman was huge. Splitting a 4 game home series against the Rays was disappointing, considering how winnable the two losses were. This offense has been sneakily bad since the All Star break. Like bottom five in the majors bad (.239/.299/.424, 90 wRC+). Let's hope they wake up during this four game home series against Boston.” Sigh... (3rd; LW: 7th)

Ranks are based on rolling past 20 games overall. And so the Orioles are up another 4 slots this week. I’m expecting them back in the low 20s next week.

The Baltimore Sun's MLB Power Rankings (7th; LW: 7th)

The Sun’s Jon Meoli leaves the O’s right where they were. “The Orioles are in the middle of their biggest series of the season, and it’s not off to a good start. They’ve built a bit of a cushion when it comes to the wild card, but the Orioles need at least a split to keep their division hopes alive this week against Boston. Monday was bad, but Kevin Gausman is the guy you’d want to be there to stem the negative tide.” Power Poll (8th; LW: 8th)

The Worldwide Leader leaves the O’s at #8. “The Orioles would have preferred to fare better than a split in their series against the Rays. But they'll settle for being a couple of games back of Boston in the AL East as they prepare for a pivotal, four-game series at home against the Red Sox. With only two weeks left in the season, this is the Orioles' best chance to make up ground in the division.” -- Matt Kremnitzer

Any egregious slights or wild overestimation of this team? Any polls you’d like to see included? Add your thought down below and hit me up on Twitter @Bill_Duck21804 where you will find way, way too much discussion of politics and MMA for any baseball fan’s liking.