clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

O’s in Power Rankings - Week 25

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Baltimore Orioles v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

We know computers hate the Orioles, and national broadcasters hate the Orioles, but do the folks who make power polls/rankings hate the Orioles? This is the last power rankings of the regular season, as this will all become moot after Sunday. Let’s see how the Orioles fare, one last time, in 2016. The 30 (8th; Last Week: 7th)

Jonah Keri drops the Orioles one slot from last week. That seems unduly kind, honestly.

USA Today Power Rankings (8th; LW: 7th)

The Nation’s Newspaper also drops the O’s just one slot. “Trey Mancini is third player in recorded history to homer in first three starts of his career.”

Bleacher Report Power Rankings (9th; LW: 7th)

Slideshow Central barely keeps the O’s in the Top 10. “The Baltimore Orioles have been spinning their tires for the better part of a month, going 15-15 over their last 30 games with a minus-six run differential.” A month is being generous. The team is under .500 since the All-Star Break. (8th; LW: 7th) uses analysts for 75% of their polls’ composition, and fan votes for the other 25%. The experts have the O’s at #8, the fans at #8, so the O’s fall back to 8th..

CBS Sports (8th; LW: 7th)

Matt Synder’s rankings are now a Top 10 that’s a video package, because that’s what the advertising analysis gurus have dictated drives clicks, I suppose. Me? It’s a sure-fire way to get me to close a tab. But hey, the O’s are 8th. I did stick around long enough to notice that.

Power Rankings Guru (8th; LW 7th)

PRG is an aggregate of several national power rankings/polls, and they have the O’s falling just one slot to 8th.

reddit’s Power Poll (Xth; LW: 8th)

The community editors over at reddit leave the O’s right where they were. I really expected a nose dive. Maybe everyone thinks the Red Sox are just that good. “Getting swept at home in four games by Boston was painful, but the O's salvaged the week by sweeping Arizona in three. Oddly, it's been the offense, not the pitching, that has been letting the team down of late. The O's have scored 3 runs or fewer in eight of the last nine games. One bright spot has been Trey Mancini, who began his MLB career with a homer and has 3 HRs and a 2B in only three starts.” (9th; LW: 7th)

Ranks are based on rolling past 20 games overall. And somehow, they aren’t ranked 24th after last week.

The Baltimore Sun's MLB Power Rankings (8th; LW: 7th)

The Sun’s Jon Meoli drops the O’s one slot, like most rankings. “Like the Blue Jays, the Orioles have it all in front of them, with a magic number of five for a playoff spot. This isn’t the same offense as it was earlier in the season, but it’s also not the rotation. The hope is that it’s still a winning balance, and that the season doesn’t end Sunday.” Power Poll (Xth; LW: 8th)

The Worldwide Leader drops the O’s one slot to 9th. “The Orioles' offense has been more down than up lately. So how about the boost that rookie Trey Mancini has provided? Mancini made his major league debut on Tuesday, and he has homered in all three of his starts. As the O's prepare for a crucial road trip to Toronto and then New York to finish the season, they could need another timely blast or two from Mancini to eke out a playoff berth.” -- Matt Kremnitzer (@mattkremnitzer), Camden Depot

Any egregious slights or wild overestimation of this team? Any polls you’d like to see included? Add your thought down below and hit me up on Twitter @Bill_Duck21804 where you will find way, way too much discussion of politics and MMA for any baseball fan’s liking.