clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

O’s in Power Rankings: Week 22

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Baltimore Orioles v Tampa Bay Rays Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images

We know computers hate the Orioles, and national broadcasters hate the Orioles, but do the folks who make power polls/rankings hate the Orioles? As for this week, well, a little bit. The 30 (9th; Last Week: 8th)

Jonah Keri drops the O’s a slot even after a pretty decent week. Huh. Didn’t see that coming.

USA Today Power Rankings (10th; LW: 9th)

The Nation’s Newspaper drops the O’s one slot as well. Well, this is becoming a trend, isn’t it?. “Unlikely boost from Ubaldo Jimenez - three straight quality starts, including complete game.”

Bleacher Report Power Rankings (10th; LW: 10th)

Slideshow Central stops the bleeding, leaving the O’s where they were last week. (9th; LW: 9th) uses analysts for 75% of their polls’ composition, and fan votes for the other 25%. The experts have the O’s at #9, the fans at #9, so the O’s drop to 9th. Wait, didn’t they WIN a bunch of games last week?

CBS Sports (8th; LW: 7th)

Matt Synder drops the O’s one slot. Man, just no love this week. “Kevin Gausman's last three outings? 19 innings, 19 strikeouts, zero earned runs.”

Power Rankings Guru (8th; LW 9th)

PRG is an aggregate of several national power rankings/polls, and they have the O’s up one slot to 8th. Talk about lagging indicators...

reddit’s Power Poll (8th; LW: 9th)

The community editors over at reddit continue to have the O’s on the outer fringes of the Top 10, and this week, there’s STILL the added insult of no Orioles voter, so no blurb for the O’s. Ouch. Although they’re one of the few to actually lift the O’s this week, so I won’t growl too much. (27th; LW: 29th)

Ranks are based on rolling past 20 games overall. Yeah, I got nuthin’.

The Baltimore Sun's MLB Power Rankings (Xth; LW: 9th)

The Sun’s Jon Meoli lifts the O’s one slot. “What else is there to say besides Ubaldo Jimenez is now one of the five most important people in the American League East race, and his complete game Monday means he’ll probably remain in the rotation after Chris Tillman returns this weekend. Jimenez has one good half in him each season. It seems this year, it’s the second half.” Power Poll (8th; LW: 9th)

For all the guff we give the World Wide Leader for their bias towards Boston and New York, they also lift the Orioles one slot. “Is Kevin Gausman maturing precisely when the Orioles need him most? Since the All-Star break, Gausman has posted a 2.73 ERA in nearly 60 innings while striking out about 10 batters per nine innings. He already has surpassed his career high in innings pitched by more than 30, and he's showing no signs of slowing down. -- Matt Kremnitzer (@mattkremnitzer), Camden Depot

Any egregious slights or wild overestimation of this team? Any polls you’d like to see included? Add your thought down below and hit me up on Twitter @Bill_Duck21804 where you will find way, way too much discussion of politics and MMA for any baseball fan’s liking.