Altoona Curve 7, Bowie Baysox 0
It was a rough night for Bowie, on the mound and at the plate. Starter Alex Wells set a season high in earned runs, allowing seven in 4.1 innings. His previous high this season was five runs in 5.2 innings back on July 26.
On Friday night, the 22-year-old Australian gave up six hits — including a solo home run in the fourth — but did not allow any walks while recording three strikeouts. Despite the poor outing, Wells’ ERA only rose from 2.40 to 2.81. Three Bowie relievers behind Wells combined to pitch 4.2 scoreless innings.
The Baysox lineup was able to generate seven hits, but they left seven men on base while going 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position. Jesmuel Valentin went 3-for-4 from the five spot in the order. On the season, the 25-year-old third baseman is hitting .270/.350/.414 in 370 at-bats.
As a team, Bowie worked one walk and struck out six times. Altoona struck out six times and did not walk once. No wonder it was such a quick game, wrapping up in just two hours and 11 minutes.
Aberdeen Ironbirds 1, Staten Island Yankees 0
Four Aberdeen pitchers combined to shut out Staten Island on Friday night. Jake Lyons got the start and earned the win, pitching five scoreless innings while allowing three hits, one walk and striking out two. James Ryan tossed two scoreless frames while Griffin McLarty and Connor Gillispie pitched one inning apiece.
The Ironbirds’ lone run came in the sixth. Mason Janvrin led off the inning with a double to center. Then Yusniel Diaz hit a sacrifice fly to center, advancing Janvrin to third in the process. With Kyle Stowers at the plate, Yankee pitcher Nelvin Correa fired a wild pitch, allowing Janvrin to score.
As a team, Aberdeen managed only three hits all night. Those hits were credited to the aforementioned Janvrin and Diaz and also catcher Maverick Handley. Additionally, the Ironbirds earned five free passes on the night.
Norfolk at Charlotte: Postponed due to wet grounds | Makeup on August 24
Frederick at Fayetteville: Postponed due to rain | Makeup on August 24
Delmarva at Hagerstown: Postponed due to wet grounds | Makeup on August 24
Saturday’s Scheduled Games
- Norfolk at Charlotte, Game 1, 5:05 PM ET. Starter: Keegan Akin (5-6, 4.92 ERA)
- Norfolk at Charlotte, Game 2. Starter: Chandler Shepherd (1-10, 7.03 ERA)
- Bowie vs. Altoona, 6:35 PM ET. Starter: Michael Baumann (4-2, 2.31 ERA)
- Frederick at Fayetteville, Game 1, 2:00 PM ET. Starter: Luis Perez (6-1, 2.80 ERA)
- Frederick at Fayetteville, Game 2, 6:00 PM ET. Starter: Brenan Hanifee (8-9, 4.35 ERA)
- Delmarva at Hagerstown, Game 1, 5:05 PM ET. Starter: Grayson Rodriguez (9-3, 2.59 ERA)
- Delmarva at Hagerstown, Game 2. Starter: TBD
- Aberdeen at Staten Island, 7:00 PM ET. Starter: TBD